Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tipsy Planter Re-do

Back in February I made my first tipsy planter and it did well until the heat came and the difficulty with watering it caused the plants to expire.  After some months of having it sitting dismantled on the back porch, I finally came up with a solution for the watering issue; build it with a drip system integrated within it.  The new and improved version of the tipsy planter came together today with the following modifications:

I traced out two cardboard circles the size of the pot base with holes in the center just big enough for the rebar and a drip line to go through; this will hopefully prevent grass from growing up into the planter.

I inserted 1/4" hose through the bottom of each pot, with a hose connector on the bottom end, "T's" at the soil level in each pot with 1/4" soaker hose (plugged at the other end) to water the plants, allowing each plant to get its' fair share of the water.  Now I no longer have to worry about whether the soil is getting good and wet or if the water is just running off to the next level below.

I planted the following flowers, from top to bottom: zinna; lisianthus; nierembergia; dahlberg daisy; globe amaranth.
It may not look like it, but each pot is the same size.

I also added about 50 lbs of sand to the brick path I laid yesterday and now it looks like it has been there for a long time, since that's part of the beauty of using reclaimed brick.  Now to find some more of that free used brick to build the path throughout the side yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment