Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Getting Organized and The Return of The Lovebirds

I joined a Facebook page, The Seed Exchange, and in preparation for listing seeds I have available to exchange, I decided I needed to get my seeds organized.  The plastic shoe box I was using wasn't working out all that well, as I had to sort through all the seed packets every time I needed something, so I decided a parts storage bin would be a great solution, but the ones at the department stores were too expensive.  I was at Harbor Freight buying some tools when I found a bin with 40 small compartments and one large one for just $15, so I bought one.  I was able to use Excel to make labels for each drawer that are much easier to read than my handwriting would be, plus now that I have the template, I can make new labels as needed.  There's only one problem with my plan; I need another bin to hold the rest of the seeds!.
The seeds are alphabetized, making it even easier to find what I'm looking for.
Here's a sample of what the labels look like.

Last Thursday I wrote about being visited by a pair of Peach-faced Lovebirds and posted a picture of them with their backs turned.  This evening I was at the computer when I heard a squawking that I knew wasn't the usual visitors to the feeders and when I looked out the window, there they were and they stayed around long enough for me to get a better picture of one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment