Thursday, August 23, 2012

Yesterday's Events

On the 2nd, I posted about a new succulent planter; well here's an update: the extreme heat we endured from the 6th through the 14th was too much for the hen and chicks and the moss rose is just barely hanging on, so off to the 99 Cent Only Store for replacements.  I was able to find one of the original type of hen and chicks, plus 2 others, which were dutifully planted yesterday. I added gravel to act as mulch to hold the moisture in and give it a cleaner look.

While at the store, I also got a kalanchoe, which I potted up and placed on the front porch, which is beginning to look more and more like a succulent garden itself.

I spent my lunch hour yesterday digging up the gladioli so that they can be refrigerated until being replanted next Spring.  I decided to do this as the Firecracker glads from last year came up but didn't bloom, which I'm assuming is a result of the mild winter we had causing them to not get chilled enough.  I got much bigger corms than the ones I planted in Spring and also dozens of cormlets which probably won't bloom next Spring, but should be big enough in the spring of 2014.  I'm going to plant some of the cormlets in pots in the house in November to see if they can be forced to bloom early.  Here's a picture of the corms drying on some wire mesh in my air conditioned shed; they should be ready to put in the mini frig early next week.

We got more rain last night, .56", for a total of nearly an inch in the last 2 days, which is much needed and the gardens are looking like they appreciate it, but unfortunately, so will the weeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment