Thursday, August 2, 2012

Succulent Day

As I've come to appreciate succulents more and more, I've been adding more of them to my garden, but strictly in containers at this point.  When we started cleaning up the patio at the kid's new place, we had to decide what to do with an old concrete water feature that was missing the top piece that the water cascaded from; it was way to heavy to put in the trash, so of course, I took it home.  Today I was at the 99 Cent Only Store and they had hens and chicks in 3.5" pots for just 99 cents, so I bought 3 to plant in the concrete basin.  I planted a few sorry looking moss roses, Portulaca grandiflora, that I had lying around and the 3 hens and chicks.  I also hit a few thrift stores today and found a pair of faux stones with faces for $0.99 each that I just had to have, so I added them to the planter as well.  I think I'll go back and buy 3 or 4 more hens and chicks to fill it in more.
Here's an overview of the planter; it's next to the wheelbarrow succulent garden and the yucca in the milk can.
Here's a close up showing the 2 faces.
This one is totally ringed with chicks.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that my neighbor had given me an arm that had broken off of one of his girlfriends cacti and that I'd potted it, even though cacti aren't "my thing" and was planning on giving away at the Fall Plant Swap.  Well, today when I watered it, I noticed it had developed two pups, one on either side of the base, so now I'm thinking I like it a bit more and may not give it away after all.

At the Spring plant Swap I got cuttings of a couple of succulents and while the Stapelia isn't doing real well, the Orbeopsis malanantha is thriving to the point of growing another "arm" and showing growth at the tips of the original ones.
The new "arm" is the lighter green one against the pot rim.



No comments:

Post a Comment