Monday, April 23, 2012

Goodies from the Swap, plus blooms and a bird

Here are the unknown Stapelias at the swap from Detrick, along with a Dragon Fruit cactus Hylocereus undatus, which I found out is not self-fertile, so I guess I'll have to buy another couple from HD if I want to get fruit.
Hylocereus undatus on the L, Stapelias on the right 

Last year's chives have come back and are now blooming.

The mixed Freesias are finally beginning to bloom.

Primrose 'Pacifica' Primula polyantha is blooming again and looking very happy on the front porch.

Some of last year's vincas are finally blooming and look like they won't need to be replaced after all.

The pomegranate I planted this year is also beginning to bloom, holding out the promise of fruit in the future.

Here's the latest raised bed; this one's planted with both bush and climbing varieties of pickling and cutting cucumbers and lemon cucumbers.  Even though I swore I wasn't going to try the lemon cukes again, I still had seeds left and couldn't bring myself to get rid of them.  I also planted 5 kohlrabis acquired at the swap; I thought I'd only gotten 2, but one pot had 3 in it and the other had 2.  The screen frame is held in place with guy wires on each end and it should hold up to almost anything.

Lastly, here's a female Quiscalus mexicanus, Great-tailed Grackle; I still haven't been able to get a good shot of a male, which has a longer tail and is jet black from head to tail.







No comments:

Post a Comment