Saturday, March 17, 2012

Wheelbarrow succulent garden

As I noted in an earlier post, I got a free rusty wheelbarrow from my next door neighbor with the intent to turn in into a succulent garden.  Towards that end, I went to Home Depot and bought a 60 lb. bag of play sand and a 2 cubic ft. bag of potting soil.  I drilled a few drain holes in the bottom of the wheelbarrow and covered them with weed blocker fabric so the soil wouldn't fall out, then poured in the potting soil, sand and some vermiculite, mixing vigorously to create a light, easily drained planting mix.  I visited the Desert Botanical Garden's Spring Plant Sale this morning and purchased a few plants; here are some photos of the sale:

There was a large area devoted to cacti, succulents and plants for use in landscaping.
Finally found the area I was looking for.

Here are some of the succulents available for purchase.

Even more choices!!
I wound up spending $15 on a Haworthia coarctata v. coarctata greenii, an Aloe vera, an Astrophytum myriostigma and an Euphobia obesa "Basketball Plant".  At $4.75 each, other than the Aloe, which was $1.75 due to its' less than prime condition, I decided to try Home Depot for the remainder of the plants; I spent about $30 there for 11 more plants and bought the following specimens:

Sempervivum calcareum 'Oddity' - Hen & Chicks 'Oddity'
Aeonium psuedotabulaeforme - Saucer Plant
Senecio vitalis - Narrow Leaf Chalksticks
Crassula obliqua 'Tricolor' - Tricolor Jade Plant
Graptopetalum paraguayense - Ghost Plant
Aeonium arboreum atropurpureum - Black Rose 'Zwartkop'
Crassula argenta cv. 'Gollum' - Jade Plant 'Gollum'
Crassula marginalis rubra 'Variegata' - Crassula Calico Kitten
Kalanchoe millotii
Echeveria Hybrid 'Doris Taylor'
Haworthia 'Black Gem'

I took a piece of driftwood I had, cut it to fit into the wheelbarrow and drilled a hole in one end to plant one of the succulents in; here's a picture of the finished project.




1 comment:

  1. Very nice Brian! Lucky you to have a plant sale just when you need it. The driftwood is a nice touch too.

    I recently acquired a wheelbarrow and planned to use succulents because it works better in my climate too.

    ReplyDelete