Monday, October 15, 2012

This Weekend's Finds and a Pallet Strawberry Planter

On Saturday, one of the local antique malls was having a flea market, the first of their monthly ones during the cooler months of the year and I found a few treasures, including two more gnomes and a really nice galvanized watering can.  The seated gnome joined the rest of the little ones on the front porch, but the lady gnome will be staying inside, joining my Green Bay Packers gnome as the only house gnomes.  I haven't decided what to do with the watering can yet, but am leaning towards some sort of water feature.




My son-in-law had a pallet lying around at his place and since it wasn't being used, I took it home; after several weeks of thinking about it, today I decided it should become a strawberry planter.  I used landscape fabric, doubled for strength, then stapled it onto the pallet and tucked it into the gap between the boards and stapled it down.  Next I tucked the ends and stapled them, then filled the resulting pouch with organic garden soil and planted 2 strawberries.  The light was fading, so I only got four of the six "pouches" done and only planted two of them; I'll finish it tomorrow and place it in the side yard with a timed drip system installed.
The pallet before I started.
Adding the weed fabric.
The first pouch.
The top 2 pouches planted.

I also planted Grand Rapids Leaf Lettuce and Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach in the raised bed where the carrots and radishes failed to sprout, then picked another dozen or so habaneros.

No comments:

Post a Comment