Saturday, October 13, 2012

Memories of Aiken, SC and a Quick Garden Update


Finally home after nearly two weeks working at a client's site in Aiken, SC and I found some time, mostly on the weekend, to see some of the local sights.  Steph flew out for the weekend and we took in a local production of The Wizard of OZ, which was well staged, wonderfully acted and the girl who played Dorothy had a fantastic voice, especially for a high school senior.  We also managed to do some window shopping in the local antique stores, where I found a Burpee Seed Planting clock that I may have to call the shop to buy, as I haven't been able to stop thinking about how great it would look in my office.  I did go back and buy an "Old Heidelberg" beer mug from the 20's or 30's to add to my collection.  They have a vibrant, busy and wonderfully picturesque downtown, so of course I had to take a few pictures.
This is the fountain in the middle of downtown.
A well landscaped median.
The clock in downtown.
A couple of possible girlfriends for Larry, enjoying the sunny day.
Here are some of the flowers at the hotel I stayed at.



And here are some iconic Southern plants, a Southern Yellow Pine and a magnolia.


Lastly, here are some wildflowers found along the side of the highway, with the only one I can identify being goldenrod.




Leaving Aiken, I arrived once again at Dove Manor and took a quick tour of the gardens this morning, being relieved to find that I hadn't lost anything in my absence.  In fact, the peas and beans I planted before I left have come up, although the tomatoes and eggplant haven't.  For that matter, neither have the carrots and radishes I planted a month ago, but the mesclun mix is looking good.  The habaneros are starting to ripen and  about a dozen were ready to harvest this morning, along with a bunch of Takanotsume peppers.

Alaska Peas and Snow Peas in the front of the trellis, Asparagus Beans in the back.

Mesclun mix salad greens.

The habanero peppers; this is just 2 plants! 
Habaneros and Takanotsumes harvested this morning; that's a lot of heat in the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment