Friday, October 26, 2012

Lesser Goldfinches At Last!

I had purchased a bird feeder specifically to be able to present thistle (Nyger) seed for the finches, hoping to attract Lesser Goldfinches.  While the new feeder brought the House Finches and House Sparrows back, since they didn't have to compete with the doves, it was less successful in attracting the target species.  Today was finally the day, though as I had a male Lesser Goldfinch, Spinus psaltria, at the feeder around Noon and later in the afternoon, a female, but was only able to get a photo of the male.

I also had a male Bronzed Cowbird, Molothros aeneus, who visited several times before I realized he wasn't a Brown-headed Cowbird and by the time I'd made a positive ID, he was gone.  After exactly a month without a sighting of a Peach-faced Lovebird, one showed up yesterday and stayed long enough for me to get a good picture.

As I mentioned in my last post, the roses are beginning to bloom again with the cooler weather and the Climbing Joseph's Coat is putting on quite a show.


No comments:

Post a Comment