Friday, January 27, 2012

Innocent until proven guilty

The other day I noticed a hole had been dug in the nectarine tree well, and I assumed it was the dog, as she has been known to dig from time to time.  Of course, it was too late to punish her, since she'd have no idea what she was being yelled at for.  This morning, I decided to see if the daffodils were starting to come up, as I'd seen several posts from others concerning bulbs blooming early and some of my other bulbs were already coming up.  I'd raked all the fallen leaves into the tree well to serve as mulch and hoped they compost, so I had to scrape them out of the way to check on the daffodils.  Much to my surprise, I found trenches underneath the leaves where some critter, probably a mouse, had burrowed through the soil, with some of the trenches leading to holes where a daffodil bulb had been eaten.  In 16 years, I've never had any indication that we might have mice in the yard, yet here was the evidence staring me in the face. And seeing those trenches, I knew that the dog was innocent after all.  Not only that, but the cats, who up until now were just more mouths to feed, suddenly had a purpose and an elevated status as protectors of the gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment