Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pickled Peppers


Made a batch of pickled peppers today on my lunch break.  I used a 3 to 1 ratio of vinegar to water to make 8 cups of pickling liquid (ended up having to make a second batch) so I could use the hot water bath method instead of having to use a canning pressure cooker, since I don't have one, yet.  Also added 2 tablespoons of pickle crisp to the liquid, along with a teaspoon of kosher salt, then brought the liquid to a rolling boil.  I added a garlic clove to each jar, along with cilantro and cumin seeds, plus another teaspoon of pickle crisp.  I made a quart of pickled okra and 2 pints of pickled whole peppers, using Hungarian Yellow and Jalapeno peppers with a slit cut into each one.  I made a mixture of sliced leeks and sliced Hungarian Yellow, Jalapeno, Big Jim, Poblano and Habanero peppers, then filled 2 pint jars for pickled sliced peppers.  By adding sliced carrots, sliced radishes and cauliflower florets to the pepper mixture, I was able to put up 6 pints of Giardiniera.  They will need a few weeks to really marry all the flavors and a few months would be even better, but I'm not sure I can wait that long to see how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment