Monday, December 12, 2011

Fighting the weather

Last week we had freeze warnings for most of the week and I had to cover the veggies each night.  I had minimal damage, with some of the salvia lost to frost damage, but overall came out of it okay.  This week it's going to be rain, and potentially lots of it, with only 4 out of the next 10 days having no chance of rain; in fact it's raining as I write this.  The winter rains are usually more of a gentle, soaking type, unlike the intense, short-lived storms we get in summer and are much more beneficial.  Once the rain is done, there'll be lots of weeding to be taken care of, as winter is prime time for weeds in my neck of the woods.  It also means I won't be able to start working on cleaning up and prepping the side yard for the new raised beds that are planned for my salsa garden, but on a positive note, I shouldn't have to soak the ground before I can work it.

Since this week will be spent inside, guess it's time to get started on holiday baking; cookies, pies and cakes, oh my.  I'll be making mint chocolate chip. oatmeal raisin and/or oatmeal cranberry, peanut butter and sugar cookies, plus stollen, pumpkin bread and maybe a chocolate chili cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment