Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Updates, Cutting and You Tube

The inflorescence on my plumeria 'Novelty' continues to grow and get closer to blooming every day and is starting to look like Mother Nature's candelabra, plus the white plumeria I purchased at Lowe's is developing an inflorescence of its' own.  I'm going to document the growth of the inflorescence daily and compile it into a video.

The inflo on 10-6-13

The inflo on 10-8-13

The Fenestraria aurantiaca 'Baby Toes' that I bought on 10-3-13 has bloomed and another bloom or two are on the way.


The Eureka lemons continue to grow and I've noticed a few more on the tree now that they're almost the size of the lemons you find in the grocery store, but these get much bigger, with some of the ones from my in-law's tree getting as big as grapefruit.

These should be ripe in December or January

The habaneros are loaded with fruit and I'm beginning to think my prediction of a total harvest of 1 pound between now and next May may be too low.


Both the red and blue (Salvia nemarosa) salvias self-sowed and are coming back; now to find a white one for a patriotic flower bed.

I have the red and blue, now I need white.

Stapelia gigantea has bloomed again, but I haven't had more than one bloom at a time, so there has been no chance of it producing seed.


I potted up the Variegated Dwarf Calamondin, Citrus mitis, in a vintage California pottery I got from my friend Julie and also potted up another rooted Mission Black Fig cutting, as the first one did not survive transplant.  This time I waited until the roots were 2"-3" long and also started another couple as a back up.  If this one survives, then I'll take the other cuttings to the Fall Swap.  I also had to prune back the Climbing America and Climbing Joseph's Coat roses as they were really scraggly looking, so I saved some of the cutting and am trying to root them as well.  The pedestal the fig is on is the base of an old bird bath that also came from Julie; the top leaked, so I removed it and painted the base.

The Variegated Dwarf Calamondin.

Mission Black Fig cutting potted up.

Starting some more fig cuttings

Rose cuttings

The pallet decking is becoming a "tropical garden" with the plumerias, the fig, the calamondin and 'Tropicana' canna all taking up residence and I think it's looking pretty darn good.  I may have to find a way to incorporate the 1950's Hudson 2-Spray garden sprayer I bought Saturday at a flea market.  I've never seen a sprayer as large as this one before, so I had to have it and at just $12, I think it was a bargain.



Hudson is still in business, but they don't make them like this anymore.

Lastly, Mr B's Garden has expanded its' web presence with its' own You Tube channel, where I have posted three videos, one of the feeding frenzy in my backyard, a montage of Larry's outfits over the past two years and a time lapse video of S. gigantea showing the development of the blooms from tiny buds to fully open flowers.  I plan to post how-to videos and video tours of my gardens in the future.  You can find the channel at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6LTIV3WW4PYXgFuVKiboUQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment