Last Spring, I got a rusty old wheelbarrow from my next door neighbor and decided to turn in into a succulent garden. Between plants that got too big, too little water when the irrigation system broke, too much water last month when the runoff from the roof flooded the wheelbarrow after over an inch of rain and the freeze in January, only two plants remain from when it was originally planted. Those two are Euphorbia obesa and Astrophytum myriostigma and both are thriving, I added a couple more E. obesa in August, a male and a female, and an Aloe aristata and a Haworthia cymbiformis in the middle of last month. Today I bought a Lithops sp. 'Stone Faces', a Pleiospilos nelii 'Split Rock' and a Fenestraria aurantiaca 'Baby Toes' to add to the succulent garden. The aloe has sent up inflorescence and the astrophytum looks like it's getting ready to bloom as well; I can't wait to see what they look like. On top of all the vegetative changes, the driftwood has taken a beating from the sun and partially fell apart. so it to looks different.
|The revamped Wheelbarrow Succulent Garden.|
|Lithops sp. 'Stone Faces'.|
|Pleiospilos nelii 'Split Rock'.|
|Fenestraria aurantiaca 'Baby Toes'; note that it's going to bloom soon.|
|Aloe aristata with an inflorescence.|
I picked up a couple of Stapeliads today as well, an unmarked Huernia and an unmarked Stapelia, both of which are going to bloom soon. Once they do, I should be able to identify them at the species level, although I have a suspicion that the Stapelia may be S. grandiflora.
|Unknown Huernia sp.|
|Unknown Stapelia sp; this wasn't marked at all.|
The daytime highs have finally cooled into the 90's and the flowers and veggies are responding with renewed vigor. The cannas are setting seeds, the squash are setting fruit and the Blue Moon rose is blooming again.
|Canna seed pod.|
|Banana squash, a hybrid between zucchini and yellow crookneck.|
|Blue moon rose|