Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back to the garden

Finally, the heat wave is over and daytime highs are in the 90's. Got out, deadheaded the roses and removed the dead peppers and green beans.  Pruned the grapevines and tomorrow I'll attempt my first grapevine basket (pics to follow).  Also seeded some peppers, but can't remember which type I saved the seeds from, so if they grow, then I'll know.  Will harvest a leek to two tomorrow to go with dinner and then trim the Roma tomatoes back in anticipation of new growth and a second crop.  Also planning on reseeding the green beans and staking the pepper plants that survived the heat, as they're getting top-heavy.

The Stapelia gigantea bloomed again this year, so far only one, but expect more as the weather starts to cool.  It takes several days for the buds to open and the flower lasts for 2-4 afterwards.  This particular species doesn't have any fragrance to speak of, but some Stapelias have a decidedly rotten scent, so I guess I should count my blessings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment