Sunday, February 25, 2018

As Promised, Day Lilies


I had limited success with day lilies in Mesa, so once I moved into Le Maison des Fleurs, I made it my mission to add lots of them to the landscaping.  I found that I already had a multitude of "ditch lilies" on site and decided to embrace them for the native wildflower that they are. Natalie and I have made a practice out of "liberating" seeds from public plantings in parking lots, parks, etc. and below are the first results of our efforts in the front four pots. All told, I successfully grew about a dozen plants in 2016, but didn't grow any last year. I will be growing some this year, including some from existing specimens in our gardens.

Day lily seedings 2016
Below are pictures of the various day lilies growing in the beds around the house, with name, place where purchased, and year acquired, if known.

Orange "Ditch Lily", was growing on property when we bought it

Name unknown, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Name unknown, purchased @ KMart, 2016

Unknown name, purchased at a yard sale, 2017

Chicago Fire, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Little Missy, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Unknown, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Lights of Paris, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Baltimore Oriole, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Chicago Picotee Lace, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Ice Carnival, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Starling, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016

Unknown name, 2016

Stella de Oro grown from seed (2016), growing  amongst the mint in 2017

Unknown name. 2017

Bonanza, purchased from a grower in Naperville, 2016
All of the plants purchased from the grower in Naperville were very economically priced, with most being $3-$4 per pot, with two fans per pot.  A few were a bit more pricey, going for $6 per pot, but still much less than most bis box stores charge.  I may be visiting her again this year to see if she has anything new available.  I hope you enjoyed the stroll through the day lilies; next post will be about the roses.





No comments:

Post a Comment