Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Hosta Madness

One of the plants I tried in vain to grow in Arizona were hostas; it's just too darn hot for them there, so when I moved to the Chicago area, one of my first acquisitions was a hosta.  At the time, I lived in a 7th floor apartment with a balcony that faced east and I was determined to take advantage of whatever space was available.  I purchased my first hosta at a garage sale not too far from my apartment (and have returned every year, as he always has good plants at good prices every May).  It was one of the first things I planted when we moved into the house, and that little two-stemmed plant has become quite impressive.  My collection now includes over twenty varieties, from the diminutive Little Blue Mountain Mouse, to what someday will be a massive 4'x4' Empress Wu.  I've bought them at yard sales, flea markets, big box stores, nurseries and even picked them up at the curb (one of my neighbors is a landscaper and he put some out the day before trash day; needless to say, I rescued them.)  About the only place I haven't been yet is to a hosta farm, but hopefully that will happen this year.










My first hosta in its fourth year

A curb find that I separated into 3 clumps


 
 

   
My first hosta in bloom





Little Blue Mountain Mouse



This was a 2-gallon plant in 2015

The new shade garden includes nearly a dozen hostas
 

Two clumps of the curbside rescue, one year later

This one thrives in full afternoon sun





No comments:

Post a Comment